What is the AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program?
For the tenth year, the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) will host the invitation only, AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program. Since the start of the Phenom College Prep Program, 80% of participating athletes end up on college rosters! The program is the only showcase that consistently has more than 200 college coaches in attendance.
The 2021 AVCA Phenom College Pep Program will take place on December 16-18, 2021 in Columbus, Ohio. All events will take place at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. A full schedule will be released this Fall.
2021 Phenom participants will receive or participate in:
- AVCA Phenom Talent Showcase, where athletes will demonstrate their skills in front of the college coaches in attendance in person and online.
- The 2021 Showcase will be recorded via Hudl and can be viewed by coaches and players after the fact. Players will be able to make their own Hudl Highlights to share as well!
- Volleyball Performance Index (avcaVPI™) Testing: a specific measurement of physical potential.
- Curious about avcaVPI™ Testing? Watch an explanation here! Accurate metrics are more important than ever in this new world of digital recruiting.
- Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP): a unique profile of your learning style
- Educational sessions regarding recruiting, life as a college athlete, nutrition, mental health training, and more!
- Parent-specific educational sessions with the NCSA about recruiting rules and what to expect during the process
- Asics T-shirt
- Comparative VPI metrics, ABP assessments, and a list of college coaches who attended or viewed the Talent Showcase provided after the event.
- Results entered into a database that is searchable by event, class, position, and physical metrics. This allows a player to assess where she measures up against other Phenoms, and allows AVCA college coaches to search for specific traits/positions.
This unique event is designed to prepare and educate participants and their parents about playing volleyball at the collegiate level.
Who is invited?
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program is an invitation-only event for uncommitted seniors on the AVCA All-American Watch List and uncommitted underclassmen on the AVCA Phenom List. Athletes recognized on the Phenom List have been identified by the AVCA as elite rising high school volleyball student-athletes. These athletes are underclassmen who have received some significant form of recognition for their outstanding play (All-State, Prep Volleyball, USAV High Performance Team, etc.). The athletes are nominated through the AVCA Nomination form which is then evaluated by the AVCA. Additionally, the athlete’s high school coach, club coach, or club director must be an active AVCA Member under the High School/Interscholastic, Club Coach, or Club Director AVCA membership categories in order to be placed on the Phenom List and receive an invitation to the Phenom College Prep Program.
When & Where
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program will be held on December 16-18, 2021. The Phenom Program will be held in Columbus, Ohio, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. A full schedule will be released soon.
Registration opens on September 30th, 2021. High School Coaches, Club Coaches/Directors, or Parents will receive an email with a link to register online. If you want to ensure that you receive the invitation directly for an uncommitted athlete on the Watch List, please contact the AVCA.
The AVCA is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the participating athletes. In consideration of COVID-19, the Phenom College Prep Program will follow all CDC, federal, and local guidelines in order to ensure the safety of those involved. A full safety plan will be posted as we grow closer to December. Any changes or updates to the event will be announced on this page as they occur.
Cancellation requests will be accepted through November 19th, 2021. All refunds are subject to a 25% processing fee.
“My favorite part was the NCAA matches. Being around the high quality players was inspiring to want to be one of them.” – Athlete
“Participating in the showcase was awesome, seeing so many college coaches together was surreal. There were soo many. It was a really cool program that tested me, and my abilities.” – Athlete
“The Phenom Program definitely created exposure with college coaches. I am now corresponding with 3 DII schools and 5 NAIA schools that I had no previous contact with.” – Athlete
“Since attending this event, my daughter was immediately contacted by college coaches before we even got on a flight back home and has been receiving emails ever since. She now has more choices than ever.” – Parent
“I loved the All-American Panel. It really helped me figure out what is important when looking for a college.” – Athlete