What is the AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program?
For the ninth year, the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) will host the invitation only, AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program. Since the start of the Phenom College Prep Program, 80% of participating athletes end up on college rosters! The program is the only showcase with more than 295 college coaches in attendance! Click here to view the college coaches who attended the 2019 Talent Showcase.
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program is a weekend of events held in conjunction with the AVCA Annual Convention and NCAA National Championship. Participating student-athletes and their parents will attend the following:
- Educational sessions regarding recruiting and life as a college athlete
- Athletes will attend a panel discussion with College AVCA All-Americans
- Athlete’s guests will attend a panel discussion with college coaches from all divisions
- NCAA Division I Final Four volleyball matches and National Championship Match
- Volleyball Performance Index (avcaVPI) testing
- Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP) assessments.
- Talent Showcase where athletes will demonstrate their skills in front of the 290+ college coaches in attendance.
This unique event is designed to prepare and educate participants and their parents about playing volleyball at the collegiate level.
Who is invited?
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program is an invitation-only event for uncommitted seniors on the Under Armour Watch List and uncommitted underclassmen on the AVCA Phenom List. Athletes recognized on the Phenom List have been identified by the AVCA as elite rising high school volleyball student-athletes. These athletes are underclassmen who have received some form of recognition for their outstanding play (All-State, Prep Volleyball, USAV High Performance Team, etc.). These athletes can also be nominated through the AVCA Nomination form which will then be evaluated by the AVCA. The athletes high school coach, club coach, or club director must be an active AVCA Member under the High School/Interscholastic, Club Coach, or Club Director AVCA membership categories in order to be placed on the Phenom List and receive an invitation to the Phenom College Prep Program.
When & Where
For 2020, the event will be held in Omaha, Nebraska from December 17th – 19th.
Registration for the 2020 Phenom Program will open in late September! High School Coaches, Club Coaches/Directors, or Parents will receive an email with a link to register online. If you want to ensure that you receive the invitation directly for an uncommitted athlete on the Watch List, please contact the AVCA.
- NCAA Match Ticket for the Final Four and National Championship
- AVCA Talent Showcase: exposure to over 290+ college coaches!
- Volleyball Performance Index (avcaVPI): a specific measurement of physical potential
- Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP): a unique profile of your learning style
- Phenom-specific educational sessions with current AVCA college All- Americans
- Parent-specific educational sessions with college coaches from all divisions and the NCSA about recruiting rules and what to expect during the process
- Comparative VPI metrics, ABP assessments, and a list of college coaches who attended the Talent Showcase provided after the event.
- Results entered into a database that is searchable by event, class, position, and physical metrics. This allows a player to assess where she measures up against other Phenoms, and allows AVCA college coaches to search for specific traits/positions.
The 2020 schedule will be released in November. Click here to view the 2019 Phenom College Prep Program Schedule
“My favorite part was the NCAA matches and the Under Armour match. Being around the high quality players was inspiring to want to be one of them.” – Athlete
“Participating in the showcase was awesome, seeing so many college coaches together was surreal. There were soo many. It was a really cool program that tested me, and my abilities.” – Athlete
“The Phenom Program definitely created exposure with college coaches. I am now corresponding with 3 DII schools and 5 NAIA schools that I had no previous contact with.” – Athlete
“Since attending this event, my daughter was immediately contacted by college coaches before we even got on a flight back home and has been receiving emails ever since. She now has more choices than ever.” – Parent
“I loved the All-American Panel. It really helped me figure out what is important when looking for a college.” – Athlete