What is the AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program?
For the twelfth year, the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) will host the invitation-only, AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program. Since the start of the Phenom College Prep Program, 80% of participating athletes end up on college rosters! The program is the only showcase that consistently has more than 200 college coaches in attendance. In 2022, 242 college coaches RSVP’d in advance or registered onsite in Omaha.
The 2023 AVCA Phenom College Prep Program will take place on December 14-16, 2023 in Tampa, Florida. All events will take place at the Tampa Convention Center.
2023 Phenom participants will receive or participate in:
- AVCA Phenom Talent Showcase, where athletes will demonstrate their skills in front of the college coaches in attendance
- Volleyball Performance Index (avcaVPI™) Testing: a specific measurement of physical potential.
- Curious about avcaVPI™ Testing? Watch an explanation here! Accurate metrics are more important than ever in this new world of digital recruiting.
- Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP): a unique profile of your learning style
- Educational sessions regarding recruiting, life as a college athlete, nutrition, mental health training, and more!
- Parent-specific educational sessions with the NCSA about recruiting rules and what to expect during the process
- Asics T-shirt
- Comparative VPI metrics, ABP assessments, and a list of college coaches who attended or viewed the Talent Showcase provided after the event.
- Results are entered into a database that is searchable by event, class, position, and physical metrics. This allows a player to assess where she measures up against other Phenoms, and allows AVCA college coaches to search for specific traits/positions.
This unique event is designed to prepare and educate participants and their parents about playing volleyball at the collegiate level.
Who is invited?
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program is an invitation-only event for uncommitted seniors on the AVCA All-American Watch List and uncommitted underclassmen on the AVCA Phenom List. Athletes recognized on the Phenom List have been identified by the AVCA as elite rising high school volleyball student-athletes. These athletes are underclassmen who have received some significant external form of recognition for their outstanding play (All-State, Prep Volleyball, USAV High-Performance Team, etc.). The athletes are nominated through the AVCA Nomination form which is then evaluated by the AVCA. Additionally, the athlete’s high school coach, club coach, or club director must be an active AVCA Member under the High School/Interscholastic, Club Coach, or Club Director AVCA membership categories in order to be placed on the Phenom List and receive an invitation to the Phenom College Prep Program.
When & Where
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program will be held on December 14-16, 2023. The Phenom Program will be held in Tampa, Florida, at the Tampa Convention Center.
Registration will open to eligible athletes on September 27, 2023.
Hotel Room Block
Registered athletes will be able to view the private event page for hotel room block links.
Cancellation requests will be accepted through November 10th, 2023. All refunds of Phenom Program Upper or Lower Level Registration Packages are subject to a 25% processing fee. Add-on NCAA tickets will be refunded with any Phenom Registration request.
“My favorite part was the NCAA matches. Being around the high-quality players was inspiring to want to be one of them.” – Athlete
“Participating in the showcase was awesome, seeing so many college coaches together was surreal. There were soo many. It was a really cool program that tested me, and my abilities.” – Athlete
“The Phenom Program definitely created exposure with college coaches. I am now corresponding with 3 DII schools and 5 NAIA schools that I had no previous contact with.” – Athlete
“Since attending this event, my daughter was immediately contacted by college coaches before we even got on a flight back home and has been receiving emails ever since. She now has more choices than ever.” – Parent
“I loved the All-American Panel. It really helped me figure out what is important when looking for a college.” – Athlete