What is the AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program?
For the ninth year, the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) will host the invitation only, AVCA Phenom College Preparatory Program. Since the start of the Phenom College Prep Program, 80% of participating athletes end up on college rosters! The program is the only showcase that consistently has more than 200 college coaches in attendance! Click here to view the college coaches who attended the 2019 Talent Showcase.
Update 11/16: The Phenom College Prep Showcase will take place on April 24th, 2021, in Omaha, Nebraska. 2020 Phenom participants will receive or participate in:
- Talent Showcase, where athletes will demonstrate their skills in front of the 200+ college coaches in attendance in person and online.
- New for 2020: the Phenom College Prep Showcase will be streamed online, further increasing the levels of exposure for participating athletes! Streaming will be available to all AVCA Member coaches, which consist of 85% of all collegiate coaches at all levels and 90% of all Division 1 coaches!
- Volleyball Performance Index (VPI): a specific measurement of physical potential.
- Curious about avcaVPI™ Testing? Watch an explanation here! Accurate metrics are more important than ever in this new world of digital recruiting.
- Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP): a unique profile of your learning style
- Educational sessions regarding recruiting, life as a college athlete, nutrition, mental health training, and more!
- Parent-specific educational sessions with college coaches from all divisions and the NCSA, about recruiting rules and what to expect during the process
- Asics T-shirt
- Comparative VPI metrics, ABP assessments, and a list of college coaches who attended or viewed the Talent Showcase provided after the event.
- Results entered into a database that is searchable by event, class, position, and physical metrics. This allows a player to assess where she measures up against other Phenoms, and allows AVCA college coaches to search for specific traits/positions.
This unique event is designed to prepare and educate participants and their parents about playing volleyball at the collegiate level.
The AVCA is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the participating athletes. In consideration of COVID-19, the Phenom College Prep Program will follow all CDC, federal, and local guidelines in order to ensure the safety of those involved. A full safety plan will be in place and updated throughout the Fall. Any changes or updates to the event will be announced on this page as they occur.
Who is invited?
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program is an invitation-only event for uncommitted seniors on the Under Armour Watch List and uncommitted underclassmen on the AVCA Phenom List. Athletes recognized on the Phenom List have been identified by the AVCA as elite rising high school volleyball student-athletes. These athletes are underclassmen who have received some form of recognition for their outstanding play (All-State, Prep Volleyball, USAV High Performance Team, etc.). The athletes are nominated through the AVCA Nomination form which is then evaluated by the AVCA. Additionally, the athlete’s high school coach, club coach, or club director must be an active AVCA Member under the High School/Interscholastic, Club Coach, or Club Director AVCA membership categories in order to be placed on the Phenom List and receive an invitation to the Phenom College Prep Program.
When & Where
The AVCA Phenom College Prep Program will be held on Saturday, April 24th. The Phenom Program will be held in LaVista, Nebraska, which is approximately 10 miles from downtown Omaha.
All in-person Phenom events will be held at the River City Juniors Volleyball Club, which is located at: 11934 Portal Road, LaVista, NE 68128. River City Juniors is located approximately 17 miles from the primary airport in Omaha, Eppley Airfield.
All educational sessions will be provided to participants in advance. Details will be sent to participating athletes following registration.
Please note that the availability to host this event is subject to change and dependent on the ability to provide a safe event for all those involved. Any changes to the event will be announced as they occur.
The registration for Phenom has now closed. A second round of registration will open in early 2021 in the event that any spots have been released due to conflicts with the new date. High School Coaches, Club Coaches/Directors, or Parents will receive an email with a link to register online. If you want to ensure that you receive the invitation directly for an uncommitted athlete on the Watch List, please contact the AVCA.
The tentative 2021 Wave Schedule will be released shortly.
The AVCA is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the participating athletes. In consideration of COVID-19, the Phenom College Prep Program will follow all CDC, federal, and local guidelines in order to ensure the safety of those involved. A full safety plan will be posted as we grow closer to December. Any changes or updates to the event will be announced on this page as they occur.
Current TVA facility guidelines can be found via this link. A brief overview of guidelines include: wearing a mask inside the facility; limiting occupancy during the event to only the Phenom attendees and college coaches; sanitizing balls and equipment regularly; and temperature checks and screenings at Registration.
If you do not feel well on the day of the Showcase or are exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the days leading up to the event, please stay home. The AVCA will issue your athlete a full refund for COVID-19 related cancellations.
For those athletes who registered in November but are not able to attend the April date- a full refund will be issued. Full refunds will also be given to athletes due to COVID-19 related exposure, illness, etc., prior to the event. To receive a COVID-19 related refund, please contact Alex Fitzmorris-Sorn with your request.
“My favorite part was the NCAA matches and the Under Armour match. Being around the high quality players was inspiring to want to be one of them.” – Athlete
“Participating in the showcase was awesome, seeing so many college coaches together was surreal. There were soo many. It was a really cool program that tested me, and my abilities.” – Athlete
“The Phenom Program definitely created exposure with college coaches. I am now corresponding with 3 DII schools and 5 NAIA schools that I had no previous contact with.” – Athlete
“Since attending this event, my daughter was immediately contacted by college coaches before we even got on a flight back home and has been receiving emails ever since. She now has more choices than ever.” – Parent
“I loved the All-American Panel. It really helped me figure out what is important when looking for a college.” – Athlete